Warning 6501

  • Short Text: A Choice Student is not generally awarded a High School Equivalency Diploma.


  • Long Text: A Choice Student is not generally awarded a High School Equivalency Diploma. A High School Equivalency Diploma requires a contract with a technical college. If an HSED was awarded in conjunction with a public school district, then the high school completion should be submitted by the public school district. If an HSED was not awarded, then another credential type should be selected.


  • Business Rules:

    • Logic--(1) This is the CHOICE SCHOOL version of this rule. (2) This rule is not run for Possible Full-Term Dropout (FTD) records.


  • How to Fix: First check that the student is truly a Choice student and not simply enrolled in a private school or attending a public school. Then verify whether or not the student completed high school and which type of credential the student obtained. Because HSEDs are awarded from technical colleges that generally have contracts with public schools, if the student earned an HSED, the associated public school should submit the student with the HSC exit type and the HSED credential. If the student is a Choice student and did not obtain an HSED, remove the HSED value and replace it with a Credential Type value that reflects the appropriate outcome. Then acknowledge the warning.


  • Example: Matt’s record displays a warning that he earned a High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED), which is unlikely for a Choice student. District Deb verifies that Matt is a Choice student and recently graduated from high school. However, she finds that he did not obtain an HSED. She removes the HSED value and replaces it with R, Regular Diploma, and acknowledges the warning.


  • For more information, see the Credential Type data element page at: https://dpi.wi.gov/wise/data-elements/credential-type.

Number: KBA-01172-K8Z2C4
Key Words: code 6501, HSED, high school equivalency, Choice, credential type
Modified: 10/27/2020